Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Fuck. Yeah.

Pretty much foaming at the mouth right now I'm so excited.

We had our BIG DETOUR PROJECT JUDGEMENT DAY OF DOOM today. (See post two below this one for my entry.) The judges liked it, I got good feedback and a sense of validation I've been really needing lately. My piece is a finalist of ten for a chance to be on the cover. I was really excited to see all the editors again (I walked into Andy Fish's office and told Jamie Buckmaster to not mind how sweaty I was - why would I say that to someone? Whatever). Veronica's feedback meant a lot to me, as I feel that her comment on my piece when I was doing the colors differently REALLY turned the whole thing around. I still got the weird and slightly eerie feeling from my piece without going overboard, and without her suggestion I don't think I would have been pleased with how it came out.

All of the other entries were fantastic (save one or two), and I'm really impressed with how much work some people put into theirs. It reassures me that I'm working with soon-to-be professionals and that I'm in the right setting for becoming a professional myself. I don't care so much about winning (though I feel my chances are good) as much as I care about getting feedback from people who are doing what I want to be doing. I want to know I'm at least heading in the right direction and/or how I can get better. I know if I'm going to be doing this that I have to do all of the work myself, so any guidance whatsoever is priceless.

Good looks to everybody who worked their asses off on this project, and congratulations to the other finalists as well.


OH OH OH!! Tak from the Dig sent Andy Fish two big copies of my Dig cover from a couple weeks ago - AND HE GAVE ME ONE!!! It's big and beautiful and it has all my lovely pastel-y texture on it and it's officially my most prized possession.


Today is really working out for me. I MUST GO DO ART NOW.

4 comments:

Alycia Garcia said...

I LOVE YOU.
AND YOUR BOAT OF AWESOMENESS.

xoxoxoxoxoxoxox
xoxoxoxoxoxoxox
xoxoxoxoxoxoxox
xoxoxoxoxoxoxox

Anonymous said...

You did awesome, lady - never let the coloring cover up your lovely line work!

What do you think about your captain blowing a little transleucent gum bubble?

;)

kaitlyn sullivan said...

i just caught up on your life via the internets. i miss you.

Allison Bamcat said...

Kaitlyn! I miss you! When are you gonna let me keep the artwork you left at Blick? ;D