Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Phoenix color comps

Hey guys, just wanted to do a little update to show you what I've been doing for the Phoenix. The cover I'm working on is for their "Silencing Free Speech" issue, and I was lucky enough to have a lot of freedom in this issue. After all, how can you censor the free speech cover? ;)

The first one is probably the color scheme we're going with, but I'm doing the first and second ones just in case. Sorry, third comp, you didn't make the cut. Better luck next time!







Thanks again to Kevin and Kristen at the Phoenix for the opportunity - next update with finished artwork, then with the cover! Hooray! It'll be running from Providence, RI to Boston, MA and Portland, ME, so Jared can pick up a copy, too! Look out for it!



Other than that, I've been relaxing and ordering things online (such as awesome taxidermy mounts to paint on) and POSSIBLY a neon pink bike that I'm PRAYING is still available. ALSO hoping to get my first tattoo on July 27th. <3 I can't wait!

Off to finish my work! Bye bye!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Wicked! I think I agree with your preferences too. The first is definitely my favorite-- it reminds me of the palette from your Detour piece, which is still one of my favorites. I think the palette in the second piece has a great emotional impact, being slightly colder and more foreboding than the first.

Can't wait to see the finish, IN MY TOWN. <3

Ty Dunitz said...

The third and first work the best. For accessibility's sake, I'd vote #3. #2's palette would reproduce like arse in print, so unless this is staying on the internet, which it isn't, I'd say give that one up. Great concept!

Allison Bamcat said...

Haha, I like probably the first and third too, but my client picked one and two. So we'll see which one goes up for the cover! :)

It's going to be printed on newsprint, so the color will be super muted either way.

Thanks to both for your comments. <3

Ty Dunitz said...

Newsprint, you say? WELL THEN, I vote #1, definitely.

Allison Bamcat said...

Yeah, same. :)

Felisia said...

tattoo?!