Thursday, July 12, 2012

Punching it up a Notch




Momo works as my studio assistant part-time

I work with so many incredibly talented people at Converse. I'm truly lucky to have such a wealth of different skills and talents around me to give/get critique and work on projects I normally wouldn't get to. Recently my coworker Katie Blauer, a super talented and trained eye for footwear of all kinds, asked me to add a little neon to some beautifully-crafted silk flowers for a pair of heels she was making.

 I told her I own all the neon paint ever and that this would be no problem.

The beautiful Matthew Williamson dress

Katie brought me a beautiful Matthew Williamson dress to use as reference, making note of the unique green and pink orchids printed on the fabric. I picked out about 12 tubes to work with and got settled in my studio on one of the nicest days of the year so far.

Holbein Acryla gouache

The finished flowers
And yes, I know what you're thinking: That's a LOT of paint tubes for such a tiny project. But I'm very picky about mixing and creating unique hues. I don't often use any color straight out of the tube. And especially working within the neon spectrum, I wanted to go balls-to-the-wall to enhance these babies.

The finished pair, with neon toe straps and champagne waterfall fringe.

The complete look!


You can check out more of Katie's work at www.katieblauer.com. I'm pumped to say that she's helping me with my wedding shoes next year!!

No comments: